Rolling coverage of all the investments in British data science and AI companies throughout 2017, the year the UK starts to pull out of the European Union.
Total: £33,51 million raised as of April 2017
10 April 2017
– Tenzo, an app using data analysis and machine learning to help restaurateurs run their business efficiently, has raised a £600,000 Seed round backed by Acequia Capital and Force Over Mass, alongside angels Charlie Songhurst, Michael Orland and Getti Restaurants. Source: Shack15 News
5 April 2017
– London-based startup CheckRecipient, which uses machine learning to solve the problem of misaddressed emails, has secured £2.1 million in a Series A round led by Accel and LocalGlobe, and backed by Winton Ventures, Amadeus Capital Partners and Crane. Source: EU-Startups
29 March 2017
– Gloucestershire-based data analytics startup Ripjar has raised £3.75 million in follow-up funding from Winston Venture— the VC chapter of data-science-driven investor group Winton. The startup had previously raised an undisclosed sum from Winton in May 2016, plus £15,000 in Seed funding in 2015. Source: Yahoo! Finance
3 March 2017
– LoopMe, a London-based digital advertising startup powered by Artificial Intelligence, has raised further £8.1 million in a Series A Round led by Impulse VC and Harbert European Growth Capital. Other backers included Holzbrinck Ventures and Open Ocean Capital. Source: Shack15 News
25 January 2017
– AI-powered financial advisor Cleo has raised about £560,000 from a group of angel investors, including Skype’s Niklas Zennström and Zoopla’s Alex Chesterman. Other backers include Errol Damelin, Jason Goodman, Siraj Khaliq, Simon Franks and Wendy and Joe White. Source: Shack15 News
13 January 2017
– Cambridge-based data analytics provider Crowdsurfer raised a £1 million Seed Round from Mustard Seed, Peter Sands, Mike Rees and Brendan Bradley. Source: EU-Startups
12 January 2017
– Starship Technologies, the London-based startup that is creating a fleet of autonomous six-wheeler robots for home deliveries, closed a £14 million Seed round. The round was led by German carmaker Daimler AG, and backed by Shasta Ventures, Matrix Partners, ZX Ventures, Morpheus Ventures, Grishin Robotics, Playfair Capital and HOF Capital, among many others.
Source: Shack15 News
– London-based Artificial Intelligence startup Cytora secured £2.4 million in a Series A round led by Parkwalk, and backed by Cambridge Enterprise, iLexIR , and a consortium of angel investors. Founded in 2013 by Andrzej Czapiewski, Aeneas Wiener, Richard Hartley, and Joshua Wallace, the company uses machine learning algorithms to scan the web in real time and detect trends about geopolitical risks that can be useful for insurance companies and financial entities.
Source: Shack15 News
5 January 2017
– London-based startup Lobster, an AI-powered search engine for user-generated visual content, closed a £1 million Series A round. Investors include Moscow-based coworking space KL10CH, Russian entrepreneur Nikolay Katorzhnov, plus other unknown angels. Source: TechCrunch.
Co-working space and blog dedicated to all things data science.